Your Property Settlement Checklist: Getting Ready for a Seamless Move
Are you preparing for the exciting journey of selling your home?
An important aspect to consider is what happens after selling your home and what you need to do to prepare for settlement day.
After a successful sales campaign and the SOLD sticker has been done now it's time to think about getting prepared for the move. The time frame from sale to settlement can range from 4 weeks to several months depending on your sales agreement.
On the day of settlement, you as the seller will receive the funds owed, the property's legal transfer from the seller to the buyer is completed, and the keys to the property are handed over to the buyer.
At MIX Property Group we understand that this is a significant milestone in your life and to make things easier we have prepared a checklist to prepare your property for settlement to guide you through a seamless and stress-free move!
Book Your Removalist
When you move house, you realise how much stuff you have. It will always make a more seamless and stress-free process by enlisting the help of a professional removalist (especially for big furniture). It's a good idea to get a couple of quotes here to compare service and costs. Some handy packing tips include;
- Prepare an essential box, which should include items like remote controls, bed legs, shelf supports, furniture keys, and manufacturer's assembly instructions. This will greatly streamline the moving process.
- Assemble a survival kit with a kettle, tea and coffee supplies, breakfast necessities, special toys, chargers, school essentials, pet supplies, bathroom must-haves, medications, snacks, a corkscrew, spare light bulbs, scissors, tools, toilet paper, garbage bags, and more.
- Before moving, verify if your furniture can pass through doors and navigate staircases in your new property without any issues.
- Create a floor plan (or ask your agent) for your new home to plan furniture placement and measure spaces to ensure that all your furniture, especially the refrigerator, will fit appropriately.
Utilities and Services
Transfer or cancel utilities (electricity, water, gas, internet etc.) at your old address and set them up at your new one. Please keep in mind that sometimes settlement day may be delayed when arranging disconnection dates.
Arrange transfer or cancellation of home insurance policies from the settlement date. We recommend if you are buying another property that you put insurance in place for your new property from the date this sale is confirmed.
Mail /Address Updates
Arrange mail redirection to your new address and let us know your forwarding address. Update your address with banks/ credit card companies and the electoral roll.
Preparing your property for handover
Ensure the property is clean and in a suitable condition for the new occupants. This includes;
- Kitchen- Clean your kitchen appliances, both inside and out. Scrub and clean all cabinets and drawers, a clean sink is the finishing touch to a sparkling kitchen.
- Bathrooms - Clean and disinfect all surfaces, ensuring grout and tiles are in tip-top shape. Finally, clean the mirrors to a streak-free finish.
- Bedrooms and Living Areas - Clean out closets and wardrobes, vacuum carpets, and mop hard floors. Dust and clean any built-in shelving units in the living areas.
- Garage and Outdoor Areas- remember to sweep and clean the garage floor. Ensure the driveway and walkways are clean and clear. Don't forget the yard—mow the lawn, trim bushes if necessary, and keep your outdoor space neat and inviting.
- Trash and Recycling - before you hand over the keys, empty all bins and dispose of any remaining trash properly. A clutter-free property is a welcoming one.
- Final Walk-Through - Before the big day, take a final walk-through to ensure that all tasks are complete and all of your belongings have been removed from the home. This is your last opportunity to ensure everything is in order for settlement.
Moving home can be a busy time, not only do you have to ensure your old home is in great condition on exit you will also be busy on the other end at your new home. There are a lot of tasks to do in a short space of time so we always recommend enlisting the help of professionals like cleaners, gardeners and removalists to remove some of the stress and lessen the load. We are happy to provide a list of entrusted professionals that can assist with this process.
At MIX Property Group, we want to ensure your property settlement process is as smooth as possible. Following this checklist will help you leave your old property in pristine condition for its new owners or tenants. A clean and well-maintained property speaks volumes about your care and attention to detail.
If you need any assistance or guidance throughout the settlement process, our experienced team at MIX Property Group is here to help. We're committed to making your real estate journey a success, from start to finish.